A famous quote by Benjamin Franklin reads, “When well’s dry, we know the worth of water.”

Around 50 years ago, it was a common perception that water is an infinite resource. However, we have come to realize that the reality is quite the opposite. Out of the total available water on planet earth, only 3% of it is Fresh Water and the other 97% of water is Salt Water.

With the rapid global human population growth increasing around 83M annually or 1.1% per year, there arises the increased demand for resources such as food, water and consumption of electricity.

Global Water Crisis 1
Source - Concern

Along with the exponentially rising population, it is no news that we are in the middle of a global pandemic which continuously reminds us to ‘wash hands with soap and water for at at least 20 seconds, several times in a day’. With the alarming need for frequent and thorough hand washing, every day sanitization, washing clothes and regular showers, the water usage is much more than the pre-Corona world. According to Professor Benjamin Sovacool, Aarus University, Denmark, ‘There will be no water by 2040 if we keep doing what we are doing today.’

This should make us enough careful about our profligate and irresponsible behavior towards water usage.

Some Alarming Facts to Consider:

  • According to worldwide statistics 2017, ‘Poor sanitation and limited access to hand wash facilities contributed to 1.5million deaths.’
  • Globally out of 7.8 billion people (as of August 2020), 8.44 million people lack access to clean water.
  • According to WHO, at least 2 million people use drinking water sources contaminated with feces.
  • In Sub-Saharan Africa, the World Bank reported that 75% of people in rural areas have no adequate hand wash facilities in their homes.
  • A Charity organization in the Western province of Kenya reported that 95% of households they visited had no access to running water.
  • If water usage is not drastically reduced there will be no water left in 20 years from now that is 2040.
  • Every day more than 800 children under the age of 5 die from diarrhoea caused by poor water and sanitation.
Global Water Crisis
Source - Intpolicydigest

It is a general perception among various people that, ‘what difference will it make with only me being careful’ but it does make lots of difference. All the big steps start with the first small steps. It’s high time that each individual understands their responsibility and be concerned and avoid overuse of water and make people aware of the same who are not introduced to the facts or those who simply choose to ignore.

In this world, where water is the necessity of life, it is a privilege rather than right for most of the people. A water crisis is a common problem and needs a collective action to balance the needs of the rising population.

What can be done to make possible ‘Water for all’?

If you are a responsible citizen, Norvergence wants you to:

  • Try to limit your water usage.
  • Turn off tap water when not in use.
  • Use sensor taps
  • Reuse water whenever possible.
  • Do not delay if any water source needs repairing.
  • Save electricity, it takes a good portion of fresh water to generate hydroelectricity.

Some traditional methods that can be used:

  • Collect Rainwater
  • Construction of wells in rural areas

Low-cost sources to collect water:

  • Use of dried-up ponds, reservoirs and tube wells
  • Promoting and creating awareness programs for farmers to use solar water irrigation pumps
Source - pikist

The pandemic may end soon but the need for water is inevitable. It is necessary to take steps now that will contribute to the betterment of our future, other’s life and next Generations.

Professor Amit Biswas, Water expert, President of 3rd world Centre for Water management suggests that ‘lack of money, scarcity and so on. They are all excuses, the problem everywhere is bad management’.

Successful water management will serve as a foundation for making available clean water to as many people as possible which would ultimately prove to be a stepping stone for enhancing the development of the world.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the article are the personal opinions of Savi Goel. It does not reflect the views of Norvergence and also we does not assume any responsibility or liability.